What kind of art are you looking for?
We generally feature the following kinds of work:
- Visual Arts: Painting, photography, sculpture, installation, multimedia, illustration, etc.
- Literary Arts: Writing, poetry, spoken word, etc.
- Performing Arts: Theater, dance, movement, puppetry, comedy, etc.
- Film: Animation, documentary, experimental, features, etc.
What do you mean by “emerging artist”?
We’re looking to feature new artists with fresh points of view. For example, any of the following might describe you:
- You do your art on the side, frequent open mics, and work on collaborative projects. For your efforts, you’re compensated modestly, if at all.
- You’re an art student and just starting to build your portfolio and expand your skill set.
- You take classes, workshops, and other events that help you hone your craft.
- You’re looking for more places and opportunities to showcase your stuff and to meet other artists who could help you make more with what you’ve got!
Are we still eligible to apply if I’m of Hmong-American descent but other folks in my group aren’t?
While we value diversity, community building, and collaboration across ethnic and racial lines, the group member of Hmong or Asian Pacific American descent must have a prominent or at least equal role in the group’s work and presentation.
Do I have to live and work in California?
No. We’re looking to highlight Hmong creators from all over the world, but if your work is selected to participate in the art & media festival, we cannot offer travel a stipend at this time.
Why is your target age range 18+?
While artists of all ages are welcome to apply, we’re particularly interested in the Millennial and Gen-X perspectives and want to amplify these voices.